(C) by Robert Wardrick
Free publicity about your business is more valuable the paid advertising.
How do you get free publicity? Use press releases.
“First Things First”
- Make your press releases news NOT advertising.A sample news item could be your business sponsoring a community program, offering a free service or introduce a unique product.
- Research the MediaRead several back issues of the publications you plan to send your releases, most are niche-oriented and only acceptable submissions of interest their readership.
- Keep Your News Story Current.Writing about past or far future events can lower your chances of publication. If your news is time-sensitive include the words “For Immediate Release” in your press release.
- Use a proper news release format.SAMPLE Format:Press ReleaseContact: Your Name
email@example.comDate:For Immediate ReleaseNEWS RELEASE HEADING HERE (ALL CAPS)
Sub-Heading Here (Lower Case)(Your City/State)—Put Your News Story Here – Write in Paragraphs of five-six double-spaced lines each.–End–Some editors may run your release “as is” while other will edit it.
- email Press Releases vs. Fax or U.S. Postal Service.Many publications will accept email and fax press releases, but you should inquire first.Keep a log of who you submit press releases. When you get publicity save the clipping and post them on your website, and in your ezines and include them in your next press kit.
- News editors receive thousands of press release daily, persistent and patient can produce free publicity rewards.
Footnote: Using press releases is also an excellent way for ezine publishers to have fresh new content.
To Your Success!