Power up for more subscribers!
Subject Line: TWM’s Release – #14: Power up for more subscribers!
CONTENTS IN THIS ISSUE:
1. Editor’s Remarks
2. How to Start Your Own Ezine – Part VI
a) How do I Increase My Subscriber Base?
b) How do I increase circulation of my ezine? by Mike Banks Valentine
c) 20 Ways To Convert Visitors Into Subscribers! by Larry Dotson
3. What’s New at The Write Market
4. Get Your Ad in TWM’s Release!
5. Administrative Information
The Write Market Release gives you the right ideas – and we give you the right software to turn them into action!
EmailUnlimited is the ultimate solution for delivering your new e-zine. It easily integrates to your existing office environment. You can send your e-zine in HTML or Plain Text format, add personalization, select your audience, preview each message… And this is just a fraction of what EmailUnlimited offers to you. Download your fully functional free 30-day trial version today at http://www.4OfficeAutomation.com/EmailUnlimited/
Check out our sponsor above! If you’re looking for software to manage your ezine, http://www.4OfficeAutomation.com/EmailUnlimited/ gives you a trial run – free!
If you have questions or answers related to SE positioning or any marketing or promotion advice, don’t forget to visit our discussion board: http://www.thewritemarket.com/discus/
If this is your first issue of TWM’s Release – go to http://www.thewritemarket.com/ezine.shtml to read previous articles in our ezine tutorial. This month we are going to give you several ways to increase your subscribers!
We’re dedicating the next six issues of TWM Release to the 6 most popular search engines. Comments on this topic or articles to: [email protected]
HOW DO I INCREASE MY SUBSCRIBER BASE?
by Renee Kennedy
We’ve been publishing The Write Market Release for over a year. We’ve always managed to increase our subscriber base. Some months not as quickly as others. In this article I will tell you what has worked for TWM’s Release.
#1. CONTENT really really really IS KING. Your ezine will flourish – as long as you continue to put out quality/original content in an organized format. No matter what else you do to your ezine – this is #1 to help you keep your subscribers. If your content isn’t worthwhile people will unsubscribe so fast your head will spin.
#2. Publish on time. If you say you will publish twice a week – then by gosh golly gee – publish twice a week. (Some months it is difficult to get out this ezine due to the fact that sometimes we’re busier than others. Furthermore, TWM Release is only published monthly – I can’t imagine trying to publish weekly. The morale of this story is “choose your publication schedule very carefully.”)
#3. Find a niche. Find a topic that not many other people have killed, yet. Or, if a lot of people are publishing in your niche, get some kind of advantage. For instance, we decided to publish in a tutorial format – not many other ezines do this. This has helped us increase our subscribers.
#4. If you have a good niche, you are committed to quality content and publishing on time, you’re ready for promotion.
a. First, you should have a website and use it to the best advantage. Here are some ways to use your website. – place a “subscribe form” on every page of your website, preferably at the top of every page. Or you might try a small popup window that doesn’t come back after people have seen it once. (Our popups have increased our subscription rate by about 150%.)
– if your website offers interesting information on your topic, then chances are people will subscribe to your newsletter to stay informed about that topic – so use your website to provide quality content. I think this is the main reason why people subscribe to our newsletter. I can see exactly when they subscribe and it is usually after they see how rich in content our website is. Or after they’ve seen one of our tutorials. Our short, but well written popups also help people decide to subscribe.
– archive all past issues of your newsletter so that people can see what they’re getting into when they subscribe.
– place testimonials on your website about your newsletter.
– In one of the articles that follow, Larry Dotson gives you 20 more ways to convince website visitors to subscribe to your newsletter.
b. Post on discussion lists and discussion forums. You don’t have to “announce” your ezine. Simply follow a discussion with an intelligent post and use a signature file that tells people how they can subscribe to your newsletter. This works extremely well. I recommend finding about 3 discussion forums that relate to your niche and post on one of them once a week. You will see immediate results. I find that email discussion lists work the best – especially ones with a big following, like i-sales or i-search digest.
c. Find ezine directories and post your ezine to them. In the next article, Mike Banks Valentine will tell you more about how to do this.
d. Write articles and submit them to other big ezines in your niche. Or do ad swaps with other ezines that are similar in subscribers and content. This has worked very well in the past for TWM release.
e. Start a joint venture. Find a couple other newsletters that compliment your own and start a “Network”. We started MCNN – “Marketing Course Newsletter Network.” There are three newsletters in this network. That means three times the publicity for our newsletter. I’ve seen some networks with up to 6 newsletters. Last year, we teamed up with several internet marketing gurus and created MCNN’s Ultimate Marketing Guide. There were about 37 articles – by 37 different people – that’s 37 people promoting our Guide. (Granted, this type of thing only works for a couple months – the first push of the Ultimate Marketing Guide was, of course, the best push.)
to see it in action.
Well, that’s about it. The main thing I can say is that you have to keep plugging away at it. You have to keep up on ezine publication practices, as well. Try out different things to see what works and what doesn’t. Here are a few excellent resources for staying up to date on ezine publishing:
mailto:[email protected] a daily publication (bless his heart!) called Ezine Tips. His website: http://www.ezine-tips.com/
http://www.ezineuniversity.com/ great information on ezine publishing.
http://webreference.com/new/tips.html tips on increasing subscribers.
http://www.gethighforums.com/bin/Ultimate.cgi great discussions on community building and how to build a newsletter or discussion list – as well as many other helpful topics.
HOW DO I INCREASE THE CIRCULATION OF MY EZINE?
by Mike Banks Valentine
Publishing your own ezine has become an excepted web marketing standard for increasing traffic and visibility. I am often asked how to increase the circulation of newly launched ezines and have put together a short list of techniques to help the fledgling publisher grow her list.
1) Visit http://www.website101.com/ezine.html , a list of 28 ezine directories with links that take you directly to the submission pages. This is only the beginning of a vast number of directories in which you can list your ezine to help increase exposure and circulation. There is also a page with other valuable resources for ezine publishers like a page outlining available list distri- bution software http://website101.com/listsoft.html and another covering list hosts at http://website101.com/listhost.html .
2) Engage in discussion lists and attempt to post to large lists. This is an invaluable tool to boost your subscriptions if you post helpful and intelligent responses to discussed topics. It doesn’t matter what you do, if people like your posts, they will go to your site (of course you *always* use a signature line on your posts) and they’ll sign up for your newsletter, just to get more of your input.
3) What ever you do, don’t let the small circulation of your list make you think it isn’t worth the effort. Always do your best, you never know who is a subscriber and you will always get subscribers forwarding particularly good articles to friends. I’ve often been startled at the high level corporate types that show up on my distribution list, even though it is targeted at the small business owner.
4) If there were one thing I would recommend above all, it would be the attempt to get press in large publications somehow. The usual method is through sending press releases. The trick is sending a press release that will be paid attention to. If the topic of your ezine ever makes it’s way into the news, quickly draft a great press release tying your ezine to the story and write an article in your ezine about it! Website101 was profiled in Entrepreneur Magazine because they picked up our news release on our Small Business Internet Tutorial. Here are a few to get you started.
they each have tutorials about how to write creative and newsworthy releases that get picked up and used.
5) Post your articles to your web site following publication and submit these pages to the search engines! This method will increase your visibility by up to 44% and bring you new subscribers from the search engines!
The main thing to remember is that it takes a long time and intense tenacity to gain that traffic and increase the circulation of the ezine. Once it reaches a critical mass of about 1000 subscribers, you can start attracting advertisers and more traffic and your list will grow steadily without so much effort on your part.
I’m assuming, of course, that the techniques used to get you to the 1k mark are still being used. I’ve established a free tutorial sent via autoresponder and use that and my list subscription email in my signatures.
I’ve been away from the list for weeks at a time and the numbers keep growing steadily due to those techniques and the contest I offer on my front page. Most of my subscriptions come from the short course autoresponder.
It varies based on articles run in other ezines and whether any of the “big boys” pick up articles, but the autoresponder just keeps churning out new subscribers due to the popularity of the course.
Of course, I’m already listed in the ezine directories, I just need to keep the subscriber numbers updated regularly.
Don’t give up, but do have patience. It’s worth it . . . eventually.
Mike Banks Valentine operates WebSite101 and offers a Small Business Internet Tutorial by autoresponder mailto:[email protected] Join the WebSite101 “Reading List” Small Business Internet Tutorial An entertaining Weekly Ezine emphasizing small business online Subscribe by e- mailto:[email protected]
20 WAYS TO CONVERT VISITORS INTO SUBSCRIBERS!
by Larry Dotson
1. You could offer your visitors a discount on all the products you sell if they subscribe to your free e-zine.
2. You could offer your visitors a free ebook if they subscribe to your free e-zine.
3. You could offer your visitors a free subscription to your private web site if they subscribe to your free e-zine.
4. You could offer your visitors a free advertisement in your free e-zine if they subscribe.
5. You could offer your visitors a free tangible gift if they subscribe to your free e-zine.
6. You could offer a free automatic entry into your contest or sweepstakes if they subscribe to your free e-zine.
7. You could tell your visitors that you offer original content in your free e-zine.
8. You could tell your visitors to read a sample issue of your free e-zine on your web site.
9. You could offer your visitor’s free software if they subscribe to your free e-zine.
10. You could offer your visitors a free sign up to your affiliate program if they subscribe to your free e-zine.
11. You could offer your visitors a free web service, like free e-mail, if they subscribe to your free e-zine.
12. You could publish some of your current e-zine subscriber’s testimonials on your web site.
13. You could publish any positive reviews you have received about your free e-zine on your web site.
14. You could tell your visitors what’s going to be published in your next e-zine issue.
15. You could tell your visitors that they have the right to republish your e-zines content on their own web site if they subscribe to your free e-zine
16. You could publish a list of well-known famous, or respected people that have subscribed to your free e-zine.
17. You could tell your visitors what a subscription to your free e-zine is worth in dollars.
18. You could tell your visitors all the major benefits of subscribing to your e-zine.
19. You could tell your visitors how many people have already subscribed to your e-zine.
20. You could tell your visitors that a subscription to your free e-zine is only available for a limited time.
40,000 FREE eBooks And Web Books when you visit: http://www.ldpublishing.com As a bonus, Bob Osgoodby publishes the free weekly “Your Business” Newsletter – visit his web site to subscribe and place a FREE Ad! http://adv-marketing.com/business
WHAT’S NEW AT THE WRITE MARKET
Don’t forget – The Write Market Wrapper: http://www.thewritemarket.com/discus/ Come and give advice or ask for advice – it’s a discussion board and we highly encourage using signature files to promote your website or your newsletter!
GET YOUR AD IN THIS EZINE
Get an ad into TWM Release:
We do ad swaps with other ezines or you may purchase an ad – $5 per issue – up to 10 lines –
Contact: [email protected]
If you liked this newsletter you may forward it to anyone you like – in its entirety.
You are receiving this email because you signed up at one of these sites:
The Write Market: http://www.thewritemarket.com/
Or you sent an email to [email protected]
If you are receiving this newsletter twice or more in your email box – please let us know – we will delete your excess email addresses. Please send us your email address and tell us the problem:
We cannot take responsibility for the content of our advertiser’s sites and make no claim as to their validity.
You can unsubscribe by sending an email to:
Comments or critiques to:
Copyright 2000 The Write Market