Before You Begin
If you have a website, it's a given that you need to be
in the engines and directories. Search engines and
directories are where people go to find out what's
on the internet.
This tutorial is for beginners. However, we will provide
links along the way to more advanced information.
Before You Begin to Optimize:
1. Ensure that your site has proper navigation. The
search engines need to be able to follow your links,
just like a real person visiting your site. Sometimes,
what distinguishes one site from another is simply
2. You need your own domain name. Search engines
and especially directories are going to be more likely
to index the root domain than subdirectories. Your
own domain name is imperative.
3. Professional, attractive design - another must.
When you submit to directories, humans are going to
visit your site and decide its worth.
4. All search engines,
directories or otherwise are going to index your website
based on CONTENT. ALL of them. This is the KEY to
getting your site well known around the internet. Because:
- You build a reputation with content.
- You find specific content to attract visitors. Stay in your
niche - become one of the best sites in your niche by
providing specific, original content.
- You will get other sites linking to you if you have original
5. Be sure to visit our article section on Search Engine Promotion. Many of the articles qualify as stand alone tutorials.
With these five things under your belt, you are ready to start
optimizing your content rich pages for the search engines.